Sunday, April 20, 2014

Chihuly in the Desert

I had the pleasure of visiting the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix this month and the icing on the cake was getting to see the Chihuly art exhibit. I have seen Chihuly's glass work in museums, hotels (famous Belagio ceiling) and even his exhibit at the D Young several years ago- but nothing compares to seeing the grandness of the installations in the outdoors. The juxtaposition of the colorful bold glass in the stark desert landscape created a kinetic kind of dance and made me question what was the sculpture and what was plants. Cacti and succulents have a very architectural and sculptural habit and like art, beg to stand alone and be admired for their form. Their sharp thorns (and competition for water) keep them at bay from disturbers- both of the mobile and plant variety. One large piece, a squiggly fiery burning sun made me sweat even more than I already was- reminding me of the dry hot exposed heat I was trekking through- and I gained a stronger admiration for these tough tough plants. Pictures being a thousand words and all, here you go...



 Titled white belugas, these looked like stranded milk bottles washed ashore.






Barrel cactus and yucca blanketed by Palo Verde blossoms


Yellow glass art with lavender in foreground

The wildflower section showed many plants we see here in Santa Cruz and the bay area, including our CA poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment